Wednesday, January 6, 2010

What can I use to mask the smell?

I am treating an area rug with Nature's Miracle because there are like 11 cat pee stains on it. The stains are almost gone underneath the carpet now. I know that Nature's Miracle is supposed to neutralize the smell, but what else can I spray on the rug once I'm done treating it with Nature's Miracle to mask the smell?What can I use to mask the smell?
I agree that vinegar and water works better than many commercial products for ridding yourself of those pet odors. Although it smells strongly at first, the vinegar scent dissipates pretty quickly and takes away the other scents, to boot!





I liked using Simple Solutions to clean my carpet and get out the scent that *I* could smell...but when I used it, my cats were more attracted than ever to pee where I had cleaned. (Not something you want, I should expect!)





To get rid of the scent of cat pee without tearing up your carpeting and also discourage your cats from peeing there again, I recommend using a citrus spray of some sort. It'll smell fresh to you, cats dislike the scent of citrus, and it has staying power to overcome whatever nasty scents you have emanating from your carpet!





Good luck!What can I use to mask the smell?
ya know you i have found that you cant completley get ride of the cat pee smell. its weird and discusting but true. maybe if its a carpet small enough to wash you could put it in the washer or set it outside to air out?
vinegar and water mixed in a spray bottle. also simple solution worked better for me than natures miracle
if you can i would probably get rid of the rug, just masking the smell isn't going to work. cats have a better sense of smell than people and might continue to go back to the rug.


if getting rid of the rug is not an option, you can look online or find a local vet that carries anti-icky poo. it is a spray that has enzymes that are supposed to eat the odor causing bacteria. it seems to work really well. it might be advisable for you to buy a gallon of the concentrate instead of the spray bottle, its a lot less in the long run to buy the gallon.
Baking soda, or kitty litter - rewet the stains, then sprinkle with either of these things, or a mixuture and let it set on there until the spot is dried out. Then vacuum with a shop vac - always worked for me.
I didn't care for Nature's Miracle. I do like Simple Solutions for Cat Urine. I also have used Oxyclean. I use them in my carpet shampooer.
You may never get rid of it completley, I ended up tearing out my carpet and washed the floor board with bleach let it dry and then washed it again. Then we put in new carpet. Because the urine soaks througth the carpet and underpad, so you may have to pull it all out.
Don't do anything, just blame the smell on the dog.





That's what I do.
Sprinkle baking soda on the spots and it will absorb the odor.
White vinegar is fast and effective. I have provided a link.





Nature's Miracle takes time to work, as the enzymes break down the odor causing components. That is why it has an orange scent to mask the urine smell while working. But sometimes, the urine smell is overwhelming.
i agree the the vet tech (above) simple solution worked a lot better for me
try some cat deoritiser it may help?
Ohh no you poor thing try this I swear it works 100% of the time. I use this for getting out red wine to old cat urine stains. Dawn soap and hydrogen peroxide mixed equally in a bottle, let it get a little foamy then saturate over the stain and let it soak for about min then scrub in circle and volia no more stain or smell! It will be a little tough to get the dawn out but if you just pat it dry and don't rub anymore then it will dry fine not sticky at all. Good luck
cat pee is unfortunately one of those things that is almost impossible to completely remove! dog pee, after some treatments and washes goes away but cat pees seems to always stay!)





litter box train your cat to help prevent future pee stains (unless if he's getting old and can't help it.. in that case provide an extra litter box in another location...) once those are done you might just want to purchase a new (not too expensive just in case...) carpet/rug.
  • myspace.com mp3
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment